Metal Braces for Teens
Most teens feel a lot of trepidation about traditional metal braces. On the one hand, most teens want to have straighter smiles and know that braces are necessary to do that. Others might have such nervousness that they would prefer to keep their teeth as they are to avoid the hassle and social anxiety that can come with braces. Here at Coastal Orthodontics, we are ready to help you explore and take the important step of getting metal braces for teens in Beaufort, SC.
In most cases, metal braces for teens remain the best way to correct orthodontic issues, such as:
- Tooth misalignment
- Tooth gaps
- Overcrowded teeth
- Teeth that are protruding
Metal braces correct these issues by creating a single system of alignment that stretches across the top and bottom rows of teeth. The front of each tooth is covered with a metal bracket. This metal bracket is connected to the rest of the teeth on that row by a metal wire. Typically, rubber bands are wrapped around the bracket and the wire to hold the wire in place and add additional pressure to each tooth. Self-ligating brackets can also be used, which do not require rubber bands but instead have a mechanism to hold each wire in place.
When a teen has metal braces, regular visits must be made to monitor the progress of tooth correction and make adjustments. At each visit, we make adjustments to help us fine-tune the correction and address pain and discomfort if the braces are too tight in certain areas. We will answer you and your teen’s questions, give you an idea of where we are in the treatment, and update expectations.
Regular Appointments Help us Identify the Right Time for Braces for Teens
Many people do not realize that it is recommended to have a child visit an orthodontist for an examination by the age of eight. Orthodontic health is essential as a child develops. Seeing an orthodontist at this age allows us to monitor how permanent adult teeth are coming in, catch major issues early on, and apply treatments earlier to reduce the need for more intensive treatment later. Even if you don’t think right now is the time for your teen to get braces, we can help give you a better idea of what to expect and when the right time might be.
What Traditional Braces Have to Offer
In some cases, metal braces are not the only option available to your teen. Other solutions like invisible aligners can be appealing because of their convenience. Some teens may have the option of either, but there are still benefits to choosing metal braces over invisible aligners:
- Metal braces may still be the most effective way to treat your teen’s teeth. Each mouth is different. We will examine your teen’s teeth and give our recommendation.
- Metal braces are typically the least expensive of corrective treatments, making them the highest value for how effective they are.
- Depending on the severity of your teen’s orthodontic misalignment and issues, metal braces sometimes work the fastest, even though invisible aligners are often sold as the quickest method available. It depends on the patient.
- Metal braces are much more durable than any other orthodontic solution. They are made from strong metals that can handle significant wear that comes from brushing and eating. For more intensive correction that takes multiple years, they can last the entirety of the orthodontic treatment.
To learn more about metal braces for teens, simply schedule an appointment. At Coastal Orthodontics, we offer free consultations and can help ease your mind on the many stresses that can come with orthodontics, both for the patients and for their parents.